Hey guys, I’m a second year Law and Commerce student hoping to practice law once I graduate. This is my second year in the GLP. The program has already provided me with so many amazing opportunities, so I’m excited to see where else it takes me. If you see me around, I’d love to chat about my GLP experience!
- What is your favourite type of food?
I love American diner-style food – BBQ ribs and buffalo wings are some of my favourites.
- Tell us about some of your extra-curricular experiences. Any big highlights you could share?
One of my favourite extra-curricular experiences was going to Singapore in 2013 to take part in The Hague International Model United Nations. Another highlight was visiting East Timor in 2014 to spend time teaching and doing maintenance work at a local preschool in Dili.
- Outside of Uni and the GLP… what do you get up to?
I work part-time as the administrator at a real estate agency in Ryde. I also spend quite a bit of time at my old school, doing debating coaching. In my free time, I love to go swimming and jogging.
- What advice would you give to students who are currently completing the Global Leadership Program?
My advice would be to plan how you want to complete the GLP. Putting in the time early on to decide how you’ll make up your experiential credit or when you’ll do your colloquia makes things a lot easier later on. It means you can actually relax and enjoy the activities rather than stressing about whether you’ll finish the program.
- What’s your favourite part of the program?
My favourite part of the GLP is how many opportunities it gives you. I’ve only been in the GLP for a year and already I’ve been able to travel, meet new people and learn more about global issues that are important to me. It’s such a worthwhile program that enhances not only your degree but your entire university experience.
- What business, person or innovation has been your biggest motivator?
My biggest motivators have been my parents. Both of them work so hard and yet they’re always grateful and have a positive attitude. These are qualities that I really admire and try to embody.
- What’s the greatest piece of advice you’ve been given?
To take one day at a time.
- What do you want to do when you grow up?
I hope to start out working as a lawyer, in either family or commercial law. Later on, I would love to become a judge.
- Your philosophy is…
To aim for excellence, not perfection.
- Would you rather have to swim across a 50 metre pool to escape a hungry shark or run across a football field (110 metres) to escape an angry gorilla?
I’m a slow runner so I’d pick the shark!
The Global Leadership Student Representatives are undergraduate students who actively participate in the GLP and want to share their diversity of experiences and enthusiasm with other students to inspire, motivate and advise them. Keep an eye out for them around campus and at GLP events.
Despina will be on the GLP O Week stall in the Central Courtyard today. Drop by and say hello!